26.11.10

Christmas is in the Air 26.11.10


            And look at that… nearly another week has gone by. The time is really going much too fast. My finals first paper is due on Monday, finals are in three weeks, and then I travel Europe for two and a half weeks. Damn. I really need more time here. I’m starting to feel like I haven’t seen enough of Prague, which is a really depressing realization, especially because it’s not like I have wasted my time. In a positive light though, I think that was an inevitable realization, because it takes years to get to know a city, and a city as diverse and rich as Prague is no exception.
Okay – a quick rundown of what I’ve neglected in the blog from the past few weeks.
Not last Monday, but the prior one, CIEE hosted a second Bowling & Pool night. This one was definitely attended by fewer people than the first one, but it was a good time still. Last time I shied away from the bowling, because, well, I’m terrible and didn’t want to embarrass myself. This time however, I decided that life would go on, even if I was humiliated and played a game and a half. I was beating Devin when we had to stop to start the tournament, and after starting with a strike, I was feeling good. Then the tournament started and things went downhill. Devin and I were on a team and I think there was a three-frame stretch where we combined for six or seven pins. We came back strong though and lost with a respectable spread of only 20 or so after Devin managed two strikes in a row (and I started the 10th frame with a strike as well).
Then Devin and I were challenged to two games of pool. Not great billiards players ourselves, we found some encouragement by the poor start of our opponents, but were unable to capitalize. Still, persistence pays off and though we conceded leads in both games, we won both games when our opposition scratched on the 8 ball. Tsk, tsk. Ball safety people. The second game was even more dramatic than the first, because they had seen the unfortunate demise of their predecessors and should have learned. So, after they had called the proper pocket and coolly sunk the 8 ball, they started celebrating. Too soon. The cue ball, full of English started rolling back to the near corner pocket and fell whilst our opponents were jumping up and down celebrating their victory. Didn’t their mom ever teach them that it’s not over until the fat lady sings?
After bowling and pool, we stopped by a birthday party for a classmate at his apartment for a little where we indulged in cakes and whipped cream. In fact, pretty soon the cake was gone and I started just putting a pile of whipped cream on my plate and eating it with a fork. Probably not the healthiest choice, but delicious none-the-less, unfortunately it also made me miss home (Alex, I hope you still shamelessly eat whipped cream).
Last time I wrote about learning to bake bread with Hannah. But I’ve started baking a loaf of bread nearly every other day. Baking is quickly becoming one of my favorite activities, especially for dinner parties when I have friends over. I’ve had several dinner parties over the last couple weeks – my way of still socializing with out going out to eat as frequently – and they’ve been terrifically fun nights filled with good food, warm bread, and delightful company, inevitably culminating in dancing to such classic tunes as “Whip My Hair” by Willow Smith or “Lean Like A Cholo” by Down.
Next up – Cinema Dance: The mysterious weekend of dancing in the woods for three days to earn three college credits is fast approaching but few details have yet to be released. So far all I know is that I will leave at 2:30 on Thursday and return Sunday evening and that the class costs a little over $100 for food and lodging. Fun fact – they don’t tell you there’s a charge until three weeks before the retreat at which point it is too late to do anything except pay since you can’t pick up another class before the end of the semester and you can’t drop the class and still “graduate” from the CIEE. Anyway, they also make you travel down to FAMU in order to pay for the class. In an email they outline the procedure (come at so and so time with so and so many Crowns), and a few days later I have the proper amount of change, so I make my way down the river to FAMU.
I have a few hours in between classes, but when I arrive at FAMU, I have no idea where I am, so I ask the concierge where I can find the representative of the program (who’s name I smartly wrote down in my phone, since I knew I wouldn’t remember it). He directs me up to the fourth floor, but when I get there, every door is closed and none of the name tags are right. Thoroughly confused, I get a bit nervous and finally build up enough courage to ask where I am and where I should go. I stop a woman in the hallway who tells me that I need to be on the first floor in the international office. Well that makes sense! But then why did the concierge send to the fourth floor? The door is well marked, but closed. I knock, but receive no response. I try the handle, but it was locked. At this point I got a little upset because I’d wasted nearly my entire break in between classes to try and pay for Cinema Dance only to come up empty and have to come back the next day.
The good news though: when I came back the next day, I knew where I was going, I knew who I was looking for (I still had her name in my phone) and the door was open. It took me all of five minutes to sign up and I was quickly back on my way to class.
I still have no idea what the class is about though and it seems like they’re keeping the details close to their chest. I have heard only great things about the class though, so I’m not too worried. The only real issue however is that I have five friends visiting that weekend: three coming in on Saturday and Charl and one of his friends coming Sunday. I’m hoping that Mira can show them around Sunday if they need any guidance and that I don’t get in too late on Sunday. I can’t even explain how happy I am to see Charl though. I don’t think I have seen him since last Christmas break, which is just too long.
As I’m sure you are all aware, yesterday was Thanksgiving. Some of you may be unaware however that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and the fact that I missed it this year may be one of the hardest parts about studying abroad in the fall. In America, Thanksgiving is a natural divide, before which retailers do not advertise for Christmas specials. In Prague however, with no Thanksgiving holiday, there is no break and Christmas markets opened almost two weeks before Thanksgiving. What would generally be frowned upon in America proved to be a pleasant surprise on the other side of the pond. Markets popped up all around Prague, filling squares with stalls decorated with ornaments and wreaths and a large decorated Christmas tree in the center. I don’t have too much use for buying ornaments for the family, but the markets are still a lot of fun to frequent and I have found a bunch of scarves and some fresh persimmon. I don’t know if I’ve ever eaten persimmon before coming to Prague, but I was walking around a market between Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square, buying vegetables for a dinner and munching on a persimmon the other day – it was such a great experience and one that I just couldn’t have in America.
Last wrap-up point before I get to my present weekend (which may actually have to wait for the next post for the most part): Yesterday before a DELICIOUS thanksgiving dinner, cooked almost entirely by Emily and to which I’ll get to in a second, I finally got over to Petrin. Petrin is a large park in Mala Strana (the Little Town) overlooking Prague Castle and Old Town. The park is huge and has a miniature replica of the Eifel Tower at the top, which you can walk up for 50 kc. I wanted to make it to the top of the hill before sunset to get a few photos in before darkness descended. That didn’t quite happen. The sun sets at 4:30 now, which is a bit ridiculous, but life goes on. After finally finding the gondola that goes up the hill, I refused to be deterred by the night and so I took a few photos of the city with the shining lights of the city. I’m hoping some of them worked out, but I was trying some things with multiple exposures, so we’ll see what happens.
I stayed too long at Petrin though, so I was a little late to Thanksgiving dinner. Dinner hadn’t started though, and in fact was still in the oven. The large brick of Brie cheese with pecans and cranberry and loaves of bread had just been set on the table, so I quickly capitalized on that to begin the festivities. Thanksgiving away from my family is just not the same. I had a great time, the food was delicious, the company fun, but it wasn’t family and Thanksgiving is a holiday for family. I know that one day I’ll start my own Thanksgiving tradition with my family, but I’m not ready for that yet.
When I got home from dinner, I got to Skype with my family who was all together at my aunt and uncle’s new house. Ugh, I was so jealous, but it was so great to see them all – even if it was just through a computer screen. I finally got to sleep around two, only to have to wake up at 6:30 for a trip to Vienna. More on that after I get some sleep, but highlights so far: Christmas Markets feasts with swords and a tower of beer.
G’night ya’ll. – oh and let me just apologize for the incoherence of this post, I’m exhausted.


No comments:

Post a Comment